Friday, September 10, 2010

Emma's Dresser/Night Stand

Emma's Dresser Is Done
Whew!
It was a . . . b e a s t. . . .to say the least!
Just a hard project for me to complete.
I tried a new technique and I wasn't sure if I did the right thing (still not sure)
The main thing is
Emma likes it!
This is how it looks now all pretty with fresh paint

This is how it looked before
Poor thing has a story behind it.
This is the story (stay with me it is good)
I has been on the "look-out" for a night stand for Emma.
So everywhere I went I looked, and looked.
One day I was coming home from  dinner with friends
when I could see furniture on a sidewalk
I drove past, but then like all "junkers" I turned around
and went back to see what was there. . .
This little dresser was sitting there with a $25 price on it
No way!  Way too much for this piece.
And besides I don't pay over $10 for most furniture.
I told the young girl I would give her $10.
She agreed to it.
We loaded it in my car. . .   (it is heavy)
When I went to pay her I only had a $50 bill
I ask her if she had change and she said no, she had no money.
She was selling things so she could get a tank of gas.
I ask her if she trusted me to run and get some change
and I promised I would be right back?
Hmmmmmm, she hesitated, and then said yes.
I drove to the nearest store and got change.
She was waiting for me.
I said, "I told you I would be right back."
She said, "You are an honest lady aren't you?"
I told her yes I am and I value my integrity very much.
Then she told me she didn't have honest people in her life.
She was trying to get away from an abusive relationship and needed the money to buy gas.
After hearing her story I felt bad that I talked her down
on the price of the dresser.
I gave her $20 and told her to get away from the abuse.
I prayed for that young woman and I hope she did leave the abusive relationship.

The dresser/night stand has a new look
and a new home.
It will be loved and taken care of.

The Emma Dresser
I am linking this post to:

11 comments:

  1. Wow....it really came out wonderful looking....I LOVE it:)

    Happy Friday!

    Statements in Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I loved the story more than I Love the dresser & I LOVE the dresser!! Great job!!
    Now, let me Thank You for that young girl. Thank you for/from her Mom. You were Jesus to her that day, You Blessed her & you Blessed me today, tremendously. Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a bittersweet story. I hope she finds her way.

    On a different note...I just found you via New Friend Friday! I'll be following you! :O)

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dresser and love the story...I grew up in Provo and am LDS too! It's fabulous to meet a new member friend! I found you on Frou Frou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story! They dresser looks great! I'm currently working on painting our dining room table white... and wow did you do a great job!! I understand the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from Tatertots and Jello. Your post caught my eye because it looks a lot the the old night table thing I just refinished for my Emma. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Great job on the night stand, I love it!! What a story. I hope you can stop by my blog today for my Show Off Sunday Party. I would love for you to share your night stand with my followers. :)

    http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dresser looks marvelous, but your good deed is even better. I hope that poor girl found some hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the night stand! Those cute french style pieces are just adorable once painted!

    I am having a giveaway if you would like to enter!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness!!! I am NOT a fan of painting over wood, but in THIS case the result is oooo La La and SO much better than what you started with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karie...

    Oooh...I love how the dresser turned out, my friend! It's gorgeous all dressed up in its new white frocks! Sooo frenchy looking too...I love it! I'm sure that your Emma just adores it! I also enjoyed your story...I too, hope that the young lady was able to get out of those horrible circumstances! My heart sure does go out to her and so many in the same situations! You are a very kind, lady, my friend! I know that the Lord is always faithful to hear and answer prayer! Thanks so much for sharing your beautifully redone dresser with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week...it was a real treat!!!

    Warmest spring wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.