Friday, August 16, 2019

No Place Like Home

Hello my friends.
Thank you for stopping by.

I have been thinking a lot about

Several things have happened to bring back
 Memories of Home.
The home of my childhood, the first home
that my husband and I created,
The home we raised our children in
and the various homes I have lived in since my
husbands death and my children growing to adulthood
and they creating their own homes.

I began blogging to make a visual journal
of my home.  That was over 12 years ago
and I lived in a different home.
It doesn't matter if you live in a house, a condo
townhouse, an apartment, cabin, tent or hut.
It is HOME to you.

A home is as different, and as varied as the people who live there.
A house takes on the personality of those who call it home.
I have been in homes, that had an inviting feeling to those who entered.
Welcome, and sit awhile was felt.
And I have been in homes, that I couldn't get out of fast enough.

It doesn't matter how grand and fancy the house is. . .
What matters is how much 
Love, Kindness, Happiness and Compassion
And so much more is given within the Home.

I truly love my little home.
It is not fancy by any means.
But I am happy to be here at this time in my life.

It is Home, it is my Home.
And I thank God every day I have a Home.
It is clean, it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
It has clean running water, all the modern amenities to make
my life comfortable.  Through my windows I can see 
sunshine, rain, snow and blue, or gray skies.
Storm clouds can arrive and I am safe in my Home.

Edger Guest says it takes a heap of livin
to make a house a Home.
I believe that is true.

KARIE

Home

It takes a heap o’ livin’ in a house t’ make it home, 
A heap o’ sun an’ shadder, an’ ye sometimes have t’ roam 
Afore ye really ’preciate the things ye lef’ behind, 
An’ hunger fer ’em somehow, with ’em allus on yer mind. 
It don’t make any differunce how rich ye get t’ be, 
How much yer chairs an’ tables cost, how great yer luxury; 
It ain’t home t’ ye, though it be the palace of a king, 
Until somehow yer soul is sort o’ wrapped round everything. 

Home ain’t a place that gold can buy or get up in a minute; 
Afore it’s home there’s got t’ be a heap o’ livin’ in it; 
Within the walls there’s got t’ be some babies born, and then 
Right there ye’ve got t’ bring ‘em up t’ women good, an’ men; 
And gradjerly, as time goes on, ye find ye wouldn’t part 
With anything they ever used—they’ve grown into yer heart: 
The old high chairs, the playthings, too, the little shoes they wore 
Ye hoard; an’ if ye could ye’d keep the thumbmarks on the door. 

Ye’ve got t’ weep t’ make it home, ye’ve got t’ sit an’ sigh 
An’ watch beside a loved one’s bed, an’ know that Death is nigh; 
An’ in the stillness o’ the night t’ see Death’s angel come, 
An’ close the eyes o’ her that smiled, an’ leave her sweet voice dumb. 
Fer these are scenes that grip the heart, an’ when yer tears are dried, 
Ye find the home is dearer than it was, an’ sanctified; 
An’ tuggin’ at ye always are the pleasant memories 
O’ her that was an’ is no more—ye can’t escape from these. 

Ye’ve got t’ sing an’ dance fer years, ye’ve got t’ romp an’ play, 
An’ learn t’ love the things ye have by usin’ ’em each day; 
Even the roses ’round the porch must blossom year by year 
Afore they ’come a part o’ ye, suggestin’ someone dear 
Who used t’ love ’em long ago, an’ trained ’em jes’ t’ run 
The way they do, so’s they would get the early mornin’ sun; 
Ye’ve got t’ love each brick an’ stone from cellar up t’ dome: 
It takes a heap o’ livin’ in a house t’ make it home.







7 comments:

  1. Great post. So true, it does take a lot to make a house a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marty, I always love to see that you have visited. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, Karie! And I love your couch!! What great lines...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so absolutely right Karie. It's all about the people and the feeling and not the furnishings and how expensive they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful post Karie. I agree. I've lived in lots of different houses, but they were all home; even the smallest, most humble places were some of the most happy. sending hugs and blessings xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your living room looks so comfy and cozy! I love your blue and white pillows.

    Thank you so much for sharing at All About Home!

    Amber-Follow The Yellow Brick Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, sweet post. Thanks for linking up to Keep In Touch. Some homes have a wonderful vibe and some do not at all.

    ReplyDelete

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.