Thursday, August 15, 2013

Shocked and Amazed

I admit I am a "junker". . 
Well, the nicer word it I like to find "stuff"
I like to browse thrift stores.
Deseret Industries is my favorite.
I like to go to estate sales, and yard sale.
And NO, I am not a hoarder!
Well, long story short
I came across this 
Chess Set
I bought a couch and love seat from a guy this summer.
When I was in his garage looking at the things he had for sale.
I saw this chess set and ask what he was going to do with it.
He ask me if I wanted it. . He would just give it to me.
I ask where he got it from and he said, it was either Europe or South America
He couldn't remember where.  (He is a professional baseball player)
I thought maybe my grandson would like it, so I took it home.
Oh, good heavens my grandson didn't want it.
If it isn't an electronic game he's not interested.
So I have just had it sitting in my basement.
I decided I would sell it for $50 placed an ad on a local
Antique Web-site. Hmmm, then I thought maybe I should
Check the Internet and see if I could find anything out about
My unusual chess set.
Well. . .this is what I found out!
My Chess Set is worth anywhere from $2000 to $4000!
I about had a heart attack. . .Really? Oh, yes it is real
It is a 1910 Mexican Revolution Stone Hand Carved Chess Set.
My set is the Aztec/Cortes figures.
I am in total amazement. . that I would find something with so much
History and worth so much money.
I know how the Antique Road show guests feel when they are told how
Much their item is worth.
Now the question is. . .Do I Sell It?
Or Do I Keep It and pass it on to my children?
I don't think there is anyone where I live that would realize the value
Or the history behind the Chess Set.
I certainly didn't until I researched it.
So, what do you think?
I know what I think.. . . it is fun to "hunt" for "junk"
You just never know what you are going to find!

Linking With:
Shabby Creek Cottage/Transformation Thursday

5 comments:

  1. As you said no one in your area would really appreciate it, you don't play chess and the grands said they didn't want it for themselves...I think you should put it on ebay and sell it for as lmuch as you can get and let someone enjoy it that will love it...then take the money and spend it on something you would normally not spend money on...a cruise, a vaca for some friend and yourself, give each family member 100.00..even the grands, just fun stuff...you deserve it...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these chess games are so pricey! Great job snagging one. I'm always sentimental so I have a hard time letting things go but it's not like this piece has been in your family since 1910 and if no one is going to appreciate it... I say sell it! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others, you should sell it and then have some "fun" money to buy things you do want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, Karie! Sell it on Ebay and get you some money for something you want or need, or save for an emergency. That is amazing. I've found a few things that are worth money, but not that much money!! And to think, the man gave it to you!! WOW!!!

    Thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Karie, what a unique find. And to think you got it for free. I think I would put it on ebay also. That way someone who knows what it is might be interested in it. Keep us updated. Thanks for sharing your find with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.