Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Value of Family Heirlooms

I have shared with you my cousin Joan's beautiful home.
Well, today I would like to share some of the
Things that makes her home so pretty.
She has some treasured family heirlooms.
Some that come from our same family.
This little child's high chair
Belonged to Joan's mother, (my Aunt Madeline)
It is over 100 years old! 
Amazing how it has lasted for so long.
It has the same paint, and beautiful aged look
It shows that it was used and loved!
This is Joan's Great-Grandma Elmer's chair
When she was a child. . .it is way over 100 years old
And in such good condition.  Beautiful patina.
Joan found this cupboard in her Grandma's cellar
It was old, and had many, many layers of paint
Joan removed all the layers of paint and found this
Beautiful oak wood. . The doors don't have glass
She put chicken wire in them. . 
It is a gorgeous piece and filled with memories.
This beautiful bed belonged to my
Great-Grandma and Grandpa Pickering.
Oh, how I remember this bed in my Great-Grandparents home.
I am so glad Joan has it. . .(wish it was mine!)
The crochet bedspread was made by Joan's
Grandma on her mother's side. . .It is stunning!
This beautiful shelf belonged to my Great-Grandma Pickering.
I remember it in her home. . .the exact corner it was in.
Another treasured family heirloom. . 
One of the amazing things about family heirlooms. . is you can find them
In all kinds of places.
Joan found this little treasure in her Dad's chicken coop.
It is an old boiler tub. . .they used it to boil water in
To do their laundry. . . Now isn't that something.
Today it is a beautiful planter filled with gorgeous blooms.
My cousin is so lucky to have some of the family treasures.
And I know Joan will treasure them dearly. And when it is
Time to pass them to the next generation her daughters will
Also treasure the 
Family Heirlooms.

Do you have treasures that belonged to your ancestors?

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful treasures! Lovely post!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always so special having family pieces that have been passed down and boy does she have a lot of them! Beautiful treasures! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful treasures! Lovely post!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karie! I believe we're on the same page today! What lovely old pieces. The little doll chair is so sweet and that cabinet! What treasures. I love this style of decorating so much more that all of that modern stuff! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to not only have those pieces in your family but to also remember whom they belonged to! How many times have I asked my mother about family history only to forget it within days. I must write things down, right? Beautiful bed with such a lovely bedspread on it! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have family treasures throughout my house - they're wonderful reminders of your loved ones as well as beautiful pieces to make your home wonderful. These are fantastic pieces. I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I love your treasures! I am new from southern charm. I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.