Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Depression And The Holidays

The Holidays can be a time of great happiness or a time of great sorrow and depression.  For those of us who suffer from depression all the time, the winter and particularly the Christmastime can be a struggle.  Sadness and loneliness can overwhelm a person and rob them of the enjoyment and happiness that Christmas is suppose to give.


I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a long, long time.  I am not an expert, but here are a few things I have found that helps me especially during this time of year.


Have realistic expectations.  Don't set yourself up for sadness.  Don't expect a lot and your won't be disappointed!  It is sad but true.  Some people just can't give emotional support, love, or happiness.  Don't expect them to.  Therefore you won't be disappointed.  


Don't "stuff" or "bury", you emotions Let go of the past.  If old traditions cause you pain and sadness, LET IT GO! Start new traditions. Grief is very personal.  Don't beat yourself up for feeling the way you do.  Cry! But then move on.


Even though you aren't in the mood, and you would rather just stay home and feel sorry for yourself.  FORCE yourself to be with other people.  You will surprise yourself at how much better you will feel if you will just get out and be with others.  Try to be with positive people.  People who understand you, and accept you but who you can laugh and have a good time with.   


Take care of yourself. Relax! Watch an uplifting movie! Eat balanced meals! Get plenty of sleep! Most of all give yourself a GIFT!  Ya, it is ok.  Give yourself something you can afford and something you would really like. Plan something you can look forward to for after the holidays.  It can be simple, and not cost much.  Just some thing that will make you happy.   It is all good!


The biggest thing I found is, when I have GRATITUDE in my heart, I feel much better mentally, and spiritually.  My depression seems to be much easier to deal with, and I am not as sad and upset.  It really is true that being THANKFUL can change the ordinary into extraordinary.  Talking about my BLESSINGS helps me to see things clearly and realize I am BLESSED beyond my own understanding.  

I hope these simple thoughts will help you if you suffer with depression at this time of year, or any other time of the year.  I have said many times Depression is a curse. . . but . . .I can be HAPPY, I can find JOY, and I can find my PEACE.

We say MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS for a reason. It is the most glorious time of the year.  It is to be embraced, and enjoyed.  It is a time. . . .TO BE HAPPY.







All images are from Google Images.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.