Monday, February 15, 2021

Home Is Part of Our Story

 Well Hello!

It is a cold snowy evening here in my little part of the world.  And guess what I love it love it.  My little fur babies are snuggled on my lap watching t.v while I work on this post and I take a peek of what's going on.  

I like being home.... Actually I love being home!  It has not been hard at all for me to be home for the last year because of the pandemic.  Of a matter of fact, I stay inside more than I should. When good weather comes I will go out more.  I do love visiting with neighbors when I am out for a walk.

As a child growing up I was a child that didn't stray too far from home. I lived with my grandmother, "Grandma Dot." She is my maternal Grandmother.  She was wonderful.  Just the sweetest person you would ever meet.  She loved me..... I knew she did.  She was a kind gentle soul. And a Cute sweet personality.  

Grandma Dot

When Grandma Dot was a young mother and wife my Grandpa, her husband and father of my Mom died suddenly.  It was 1938.  Things were hard for single mothers in that time period.  Not many opportunities for work, or child care was hard to find and money was scarce.  Not to mention my Grandparents lived in a "Company" home. So she didn't have a home.
She went back to our hometown and our large family who were  "the salt of the earth". Loving caring people.  Her parents, my Great grandparents, her brothers, Uncles and Aunts joined together and helped my Grandma get on her feet.  They built her a nice little house to meet the needs of her and her young children.  She soon found work and then found found an even better job.  Most important to here was her children. The nice little house was a  HOME! 

Yip,this is Grandma Dot's house.

When I was 7 years old my Mom, Grandma Dot's daughter died in an automobile accident.  Me and my little brother went to live with Grandma. We were loved, well taken care of and surrounded with people who were good, honest and hard workers.  Who taught us high values, and helped us develop into who we are today.  

Maybe it is because of this little house that was my home that I never wanted to wander too far.  And my desire was to create a home for my family like the one I came from.

A Home Is Part Of Our Story.



 


1 comment:

  1. Karie,
    LOVED this post....I did not know that you were raised by your grandmother...I never knew my grandparents as 2 of the passes away before I was born and one died when I was 2 years old. My only remaining Grandparent, my mother's father, was a nasty man who disowned my mother right after my grandmother died and remarried only one month after her passing...to her best friend to boot!! Joe's maternal grandmother passed away the year before we got married but she only spoke Polish so I never understood her but his paternal grandmother was the sweetest thing and to me, the perfect example of what a grandmother should be...She never said a harsh word about anybody and never gave any advice because she felt everyone should find their own way...She was a blessing in our lives and I am glad that my sons remember her.Thanks for bring back so many memories for me!!
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

I read each comment and I appreciate the time you spend to leave me one. Thank you so much.